Wednesday, December 14, 2011

8 secrets for being successful in Croghan's class

Online classes can be challenging, yet the flexibility they allow can be worth the effort for many students. However, in my experience, I feel that many students are not ready or equipped to succeed in online learning. Learning Spanish is a challenge in an on-ground class. And now you want to do it online? That doubles (or more) the challenges for some people. But it can be done and I have had many students who actually enjoy my online Spanish courses! I think it takes a special learner-type to excel in online classes. So I want to share some of the secrets of successful students with you. If you already innately have these things, chances are good that no matter your ability, you will pass my course!


In no particular order, here are the 8 secrets:


1. Have concern. I don't want you to be fearful, I just want you to take the class seriously and be active, interested and engaged in what you're doing. For example, if you have technical difficulties on a test and email me, please check back frequently for my response. Often, if I have to reset a test, I will only give you a day or two to complete it. If you don't check back with me for the rest of the week, that doesn't show that you care to get the work done. Another example of concern: Do more than what is expected of you. If I require 10 discussion posts, do 12-15. If I ask for 200 words, write 250. If I ask for 5 sentences, write at least 7. Or do your assignments well before deadline. If the test is due Saturday, do it Thursday or Friday. We can't predict what life has in store for us, so it's always better to overachieve and be proactive. This shows concern!


2. Make this class a priority. This goes along with having concern. I expect you to be committed for the full term. If you have other things coming up that will take away from your commitment to the class, it may be better to take the course during a different term. For example, if you are planning a vacation, I will expect you to have internet access while there and adhere to the course deadlines. Vacation is certainly a lot more fun and enticing than doing coursework, but it does not trump my class, no matter how long you've had your trip planned.


3. Know the due dates. Just because this is an online class, it doesn't mean you can work at your own pace. With so much work to be done, that would be unwise and a sure failure for many students. I set the pace for you. You can always work ahead but never behind. As an instructor, I am a "no late work" policy person. I grade all of a certain assignment at one sitting. So if I grade the chapter 2 test, and then I allow students to complete it late, I might be in a different or unfamiliar frame of mind from when I was grading the first round. In other words, I might grade it differently than I had graded the others. This is a fairness issue.


4. Don't miss assignments, then at the end when you're desperate ask me for extra credit. This is a pet peeve. I am NOT an extra credit fan when it is requested as a plea to help you earn a certain grade. Some courses, I have (or the course developer has) built in some extra credit. In other classes, I drop low scores in some categories. But a desperate sense of "I missed some assignments, now what can I do to make up for them???" ...um, you should have done the assignments! All of my classes offer several opportunities to earn points. This is not a course where you will have two tests and two papers and that's it. So you do the work I've assigned, and I will assess that.


5. Be patient with yourself and the time you need for this course. I often hear that my class takes up way more time than other classes on a student's courseload. There are several possible reasons for this:



  • In general, (contrary to popular belief) online classes take more time. If you think about it, this makes sense. Something that takes an instructor 10 minutes to say in an on-ground course may take double- or triple-time for you to read and absorb on your own in the online format.


  • It's a skill-based course. It takes a lot of time and effort to develop a skill.


  • How many credits is it worth? Most of my classes are 4- or 5-credit classes. Compared to a 3-credit class, that right there tells you a bit about the time expectation.


  • How easily are you absorbing the material? If you're breezing through the content, it will take you less time. If you're struggling or just need to work slowly through it, that will also be a time-soaker.


6. Know your limits/Don't overload yourself. Please make sure you block off a good amount of time to work on this course every week.  It is not unreasonable to need around 10-15 hours per week, maybe more.  Enrolling in a college course takes time and commitment.  If you have too much on your plate, maybe you should try this course again when you don't have as much going on.  We must recognize that there are human limitations, know what our own limits are and set priorities.


7. Read the syllabus and announcements. Here is another pet peeve. I make every effort to provide you with every piece of information you could possibly need in the course. It is all there for you, it's just a matter of you taking the time to know the course and know where to look. One example, the most common request at the beginning of the semester is for those classes that require an access code to log on to another site. I promise you, it's there in the course. But I always have an overwhelming number of emails requesting the code. Now, I don't want to seem like I don't like to answer your questions, I certainly do. But I just ask you to check (1) the announcements, (2) the discussion boards and (3) your messages before you ask me a question. Chances are good I've already answered it somewhere! :)


8. Communicate early and often! This is a big one for me. I am much more willing to work with you if your need for more time on something is for a valid reason (i.e. not vacation) and is requested well in advance of the deadline.


If your academic personality is in line with these 8 traits, I think you will get along very well in my course! If not, you can learn along the way how to be successful.  This class can be a very rich and rewarding experience for you. And I wish you the very best in this endeavor!


-Profe Krista Croghan





10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to communicating. Mostly listening and understanding. I do have a question. The book talks about a cd. None of the used books have them. Will this be an issue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to communicating with you and enjoying the class so far I feel it is fair what is expected from me. If there is anything that becomed a problem I will let you know thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being so open and honest about this course, the work, and what you expect. Communication is vital, and I thank you for opening the channels to do so. Looking forward to this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this helpful information and tips.I am very excited to be a part of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very helpful, profe. Thank you. I'm interested to see how learning a language online will work out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being so open and honest with us! This is very useful information. I am excited for this course and working with you this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to you course. Thank you for being so detailed, I love details. Laura Heinl

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very helpful information that will help us all be successful. I'm very glad I'm in this class and I look forward to learning Spanish so that it helps me throughout my career in healthcare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the tips! I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge and application of the Spanish language! I am happy to see so much information posted already! - Mackenzie Ryan

    ReplyDelete