Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"How do I get started? I am overwhelmed!"

Your questions about where to go, where to begin, how to start... I will attempt to answer all of that here, as all of my courses are generally designed in the same fashion. Let me start with some definitions:

  • CMS Course Management System--This is the school-hosted platform where you will find the primary instructions, due dates, discussion boards, etc. (i.e. Blackboard, D2L, eLearn, eCollege)
  • eText Online textbook and resource materials-- This is where you will find grammar tutorials (text and video format), practice and graded exercises. This constitutes the real bulk of material to be learned. (AKA Quia site, Supersite, etc.)

  1. In all cases, the syllabus is where you need to start. It is displayed prominently in the CMS, but if you can't locate it, post a question in the discussion forum. Read it at the start of class and refer to it often.
  2. I then would make sure you have accessed the assignment due dates sheet, or course calendar and get those into your own personal calendar. They will not change (unless I have made an error, in which case I would send out an announcement).
  3. Get enrolled in the eText site. You get your code(s) through the purchase of your texbook (so don't throw away ANY of the packaging until your code(s) are accounted for and you've enrolled in the eText site).
  4. There also is a teacher code posted prominently in the CMS. You will also need this to get enrolled in my course on the eText site. A common issue I see is students who enter the codes that come with their textbooks, but don't enter my teacher code. You need to do this to appear on my roster and get credit for your work.
  5. From there, I would then spend some time getting to know the CMS. Do not try to pass up this self-orientation time, and do not rush the experience. During this stage, I would also get to know the eText site as well as you can before you start working on the assignments.
  6. Once you have spent some time in both the eText and CMS, you should go ahead and begin in your first lesson or chapter. You naturally may feel hesitant or doubtful if you are completing everything I have assigned. I would be glad to check on something for you to confirm completion. Just send me a note about it.
  7. Chapter or Lesson 2 will get easier! It will be essentially the same routine for each of the 6 chapters.

If, after following all 7 steps, you still have questions or feel lost in some aspect, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment